Springvale Elementary

S.A.C. Meeting Minutes 2017-2018

Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council
Tuesday June 19, 2018
6:00 – 7:00 pm

Attendance: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Stratos Lazaros (Parent), Dawn Cullen (Community),  Karla Galloway (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative), Bill Gorman (Community member)
Regrets: Jill Zhang (Teacher), Nick Budreski (Parent)
Call to Order - 6:04 pm
1. Additions to Agenda – none added
2. Review and approval of minutes –approved with correction to item 4: Springvale website: Mark Whalie spelling
3. Old Business
a) Letter from Minister Diab regarding Arts Programming: Notice/Press release from HRCE (refer to attachment provided in minutes). In an attempt to allow for more equality/equity between the HRM and County regarding fine arts resources there will be an effective loss of resources to the HRM schools. Although the amount of fine arts specialists will be increased through the family of schools (FOS) this will not be felt at Springvale. Teachers will be required to incorporate Arts into their class curriculum.

4. Principal’s Report 
1. Playground equipment: Letter from HRCE: Reminder About: Age 4 (Primary and pre-primary) Students and Playground Equipment:
Ø  School Insurance Program regulations state that children under the age of 5 years old will not be permitted to use playground equipment on any school grounds unless the equipment has been officially CSA approved for that age group. Equipment that is CSA approved will have a sticker on the equipment.
Ø  Our school administration (2018-19) will work out a plan for Pre-primary and Primary students to play in alternate areas.
Ø  School Administration will also communicate this to parents and other partners early in the coming school year. It is also important for parents to know - supervision is not provided at dismissal time at the end of the day and students should not stay and play on school grounds at this time.
Ø  Note:  When Primary Students turn 5 years old in January - they are permitted on the equipment.
Young Gr. Primary student will have an alternate area of play - from Sept- to Dec (for this purpose) After Christmas break – ALL Gr. Primary students will have access to the play equipment.  This concern will be monitored and a plan will be in place for September 2018. 

2. Pre-primary program:
Approaching 20 participants and will be using the Art Room as their space. If greater than 24 students the French room will be absorbed. Susan Power Han is the liaison for the pre-primary program.

3. Greening Program:
Presently on hold. Mr. D did not received a response from Don Sheehan

5. Thank you:
- Mr D thanked everyone for their commitments on SAC and shared that parents appreciated hearing what is going in the school i.e. through the minutes on the website.
- On behalf of the SAC Sylvia expressed sincere gratitude for the time, effort and commitment to Springvale school community Mr. D has demonstrated over the last 5 years. Wishing you all the best in the new life adventures you will undertake as you transition to a new life chapter.
     5. New Business:
a) NS Heritage Fairs Society Letter to SAC (attachment):Mr. D forwarded letter to Springvale teachers for review and determine if it would be viable to the Springvale Community.
b) School Website: Letter of Agreement to be updated. Mr. D to update. SAC meeting minutes on website need to be updated.  
c) SAC Meetings 2018-2019: 3rd Tuesday of the month. Looking to have standing Agenda items and have contact numbers for all members
d) Tentative SAC membership: All members are open to stay on the committee. Sylvia to check with Jill and Nick.  (After meeting determined via e-mail: Both are open to stay.)
6. Adjournment – 6:59pm
Next meeting – Tuesday, Sept 18, 2018 @ 6:00pm

 

Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council
Tuesday May 15, 2018
6:00 – 7:00 pm

Attendance: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Vince MacNeil (Principal 2018/2019), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Erin Cyr (Parent), Stratos Lazaros (Parent), Dawn Cullen (Community), Nick Budreski (Parent), Karla Galloway (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative), Bill Gorman (Community member)

Regrets:

Call to Order - 6:00 pm
1. Additions to Agenda – Welcome to Vince MacNeil Springvale Principal 2018-2019
2. Review and approval of minutes –approved
3. Old Business
a) Consultation with SAC for New Principal recruitment : Sylvia collated the information/feedback for the New Principal Recruitment and provided same to Karen Cooling

4. Principal’s Report 
1. Principal 2018 2019: A very warm welcome to Mr. Vince MacNeil, the new incoming Principal for Springvale 2018-2019. Mr. MacNeil is familiar with Springvale and is very excited for 2018-2019.
2. Inclusive Education Report:
The Report brought forward a number of recommendations. There will need to be a number of new staff required to facilitate and achieve the recommendations tabled. There was recognition the extra support staff is required to meet the needs and achieve the best learning opportunities for children with enhanced needs i.e. SLP, psychology. Support areas/staff will be incorporated to achieve the goals outlined in the report. There will be an increase in the Learning Centre staff (increase to 1.5 FTE).
3. School Configurations 2018/2019:
There will be 13 classrooms and only 2 combined classes. ½ combined and a 2/3 combined. There is also be the 4+ program run at Springvale in the 2018/2019 year.
4. Springvale Website:
The website is almost complete. Mark Whalie a school parent helped with the website. There will be an amalgamation of popular information from the old site to the new site
5. New Business:
a) SAC’s Potential New Role: Business as usual- Advisory Role- Parental/Community voice. Elwin LeRoux has called a meeting in May. There will be more information coming in September re: potential changes in the Role of SAC. The hope is to recruit more SAC members as well.
b) SAC’s June Meeting Agenda to be sent out.
c) Art Classes: A parent brought forward a concern regarding changes to Art Classes in Gr. 4-6. We will be losing Ms. Myette as an Art Specialist. Classroom teachers will integrate art in the classroom. The changes have been made to allow equality through HRM and the County. HRCE is taking a more global view and trying to facilitate equality throughout the various districts. There is the ability to apply for grants to allow specialized Arts in school and also the potential for PTA funds to be used to facilitate Fine Arts
6. Adjournment - 7:02pm
Next meeting – Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 6:00pm

Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council
April 17, 2018
6:00 – 7:00 pm

Attendance: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Stratos Lazaros (Parent), Nick Budreski (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative), Bill Gorman (Community member)

Regrets: Dawn Cullen (Community)
Call to Order - 6:03 pm
1. Additions to Agenda – Pre-primary program
2. Review and approval of minutes –approved
3. Old Business
a) No official changes to SAC as of yet; minutes from the meeting with Elwin LeRoux on Feb 13th will be circulated by Sylvia. At the end of the month new information will be provided at the next meeting of SAC chairs. Present SAC groups will be dissolved in July. Springvale SAC will most likely have 2 more meetings. The new SAC structuring and responsibilities will be ready for September.
  Many of the SAC chairs have formed a Facebook group.
b) No contact with SAC re: principal recruitment.

4. Principal’s Report 
1. Principal Replacement 2018 2019: It is expected a replacement for Mr. Dobrowolski will be announced in the month of April. He will work carefully with the new Principal to ensure a smooth transition in all responsibilities. This person will be fully informed of school financing and the important roles of our school SAC / PTA. The SAC will have an opportunity to provide some input into what the Springvale community would like in a principal.
2. NSTU - Glaze Report Impact:
There has been a removal of the contentious issues. The hope is that business will be moving forward and will remain stable. Administration has been removed from the NSTU and placed in an NSTU affiliated association for now. Sylvia stated that many SAC chairs may be feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of SACs having a larger role. We are still unsure of what the new roles of the SAC will be. There was a discussion of how to get more parents engaged in the SAC so that we can have more people to draw on for membership and elections. Mr. D agreed to send an Alert message to the community to try to get more parent involvement and have interested parents reply to Sylvia by March 30th so the agenda and minutes can be sent to them prior to the meeting of April 17.
3. Administrative Posting Vice Principal:
April 25, 2018 posting up for 4 business days.
4. School Configuration:
2018/2019 13 regular classroom teachers. Classroom configurations are being worked on at this time.
Four Plus – Springvale 2018-2019 - There will be a pre-primary program at Springvale and presently 16-17 students are registered. They will be housed in the Art room; Art room will be moving to Excel. There will be flexibility in the arrival and dismissal time of the pre-primary program. There is a strong possibility of the library space being reclaimed for an additional classroom.
5. School Finance: Mr. D has been in contact with the finance department at HRSB to ensure we are safely following the expectation that monies raised this current school year are spent in that year (unless carried over for a very specific project or purpose). A key factor will be ensuring that our overall funding carried over - will be lower - than the previous year. Thank you for your ongoing support.
6.  Springvale School Website:  Fine-tuning of the website is underway and good progress has been made. There is a possibility that the new website will be functional by May. It is intended to be more generic and accommodate various languages.
7. Grade 6 trip: Camp Kidston trip is set to go and will be the only overnight trip/activity of the year.
8. School Attendance: positive record in PowerSchool. The overall attendance is good. There still needs to be reminders that punctuality at the start of school is needed as late arrivals are disruptive to class leaning environments.
9. Greening Project Springvale: PTA funds are available. There will be a moving forward with a landscaping company. Ms. Bourke is very motivated and Heather McGrath (parent and PTA Treasurer) is exploring various grants to facilitate the greening of Springvale.
10. School Presentations: Sons of Membertou was well received and supported student understanding and appreciation of cultural diversity.
11. Parent Teacher Interviews: April 17/18.
12. Public Speaking: is still evolving and will be announced when finalized
13. Fine Arts: Collaboration between Ms. Bourke and MS. Myatt – stay tuned
14. Closing Ceremonies: Grade 5 parents discussing hosting for Grade 6 graduation Celebration. Tentative date: Wed June 27

     6. New Business:
a) Report on Inclusive Education: there were a number of recommendations. More information to come.
b) Future meetings: May 15 meeting: the new principal will be selected by then and possibly be able to attend the May meeting. June meeting: TBD at the May meeting.
7. Adjournment – 6:50pm
Next meeting – Tuesday, May 15, 2018  @ 6:00pm

 

 

 

SAC Minutes  2017 - 2018

Springvale - Home Page

Springvale Elementary - School Advisory Council -  Minutes

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 6:00PM

Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council

March 6, 2018

6:00—7:00 pm

Attendance: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Brenda Duplisea (Parent), Erin Cyr (Parent), Stratos Lazaros (Parent)

Regrets: Dawn Cullen (Community), Nick Budreski (Parent), Karla Galloway (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative), Bill Gorman (Community member)

1.      Call to Order -  6:04 pm

2.      Additions to Agenda - none

3.      Review and approval of minutes �approved pending spelling errors

4.     Old Business

a)     Invitation (Feb 7) for SAC Chair to meet with Minister of Education and Superintendent Elwin LeRoux on Feb 13: too short of notice. The invitation was sent out on February 7th and SAC chairs needed to reply by February 9th. Nick Budreski expressed interest in Sylvia's stead but was not randomly chosen. A SAC chair who did get to attend the meeting sent a summary of what was discussed to all people who were sent the original invitation. There were many responses and the group requested formal meeting minutes from the school board. This request has not been met. Many of the SAC chairs have formed a Facebook group.

b)    Invitation (Feb 8) for SAC Chair to Participate in Principal Pool Interviews April 16 & 17 and Vice Principal Pool Interviews TBD: Sylvia was able to take part in this last spring and felt it was a great learning experience but is not sure if she will be able to attend this year.

c)     E-mail Message from MLA Hon. Lena Metlege Diab to SAC on Feb 16, 2018: was sent as she was scheduled to attend the original SAC meeting date of February 20th that was cancelled due to the NSTU Town Hall information session at the same time. There were representatives from Springvale at the Town Hall.

 

5.      Principal's Report

1. Principal Replacement 2018 2019: It is expected a replacement for Mr. Dobrowolski will be announced in the month of April. He will work carefully with the new Principal to ensure a smooth transition in all responsibilities. This person will be fully informed of school financing and the important roles of our school SAC / PTA. The SAC will have an opportunity to provide some input into what the Springvale community would like in a principal.

2. NSTU - Glaze Report Impact:

It is important to know we are entering some unsettled time with in our school system. We are unsure of the many ways we may be impacted over the coming weeks and months. Mr. D discussed concerns with the changing dynamic between administrators and teachers. Sylvia stated that many SAC chairs may be feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of SACs having a larger role. We are still unsure of what the new roles of the SAC will be. There was a discussion of how to get more parents engaged in the SAC so that we can have more people to draw on for membership and elections. Mr. D agreed to send an Alert message to the community to try to get more parent involvement and have interested parents reply to Sylvia by March 30th so the agenda and minutes can be sent to them prior to the meeting of April 17.

3. School Presentations:

Mrs. Bourke and Mr. D are attempting to have the Sons of Membertou perform at Springvale Elementary in the coming months. This is an exciting possibility and an opportunity for our students to become more aware of Aboriginal culture and celebrations.

4. Springvale Swim:

Grades 3 to grade 6 will swim at the Canada Games Centre ... scheduled for Tuesday, March 6th beginning at 10:30 AM. Thank you to Mr. McGowan for organizing this event. The grade 3 students also have an opportunity to participate in the Swim to Survive Program (3 different dates).

5. Springvale Learning Center 2018 - 2019:

Springvale Elementary is expecting additional students requiring service through our school Learning Center. Mrs. MacSween and our school staff will ensure that our school is ready to receive these additional students.  We will do an assessment of our learning materials to ensure we have the appropriate supports. Mrs. MacSween is also retiring this year so we will be hiring a new learning centre teacher for the upcoming school year.

6. Term Two Reports:

Second term reports are expected to be delivered to parents on Thursday, March 29th. Parent teacher interviews will be held on the evening of Wednesday, April 18th and on the afternoon of Thursday, April 19th.

7. School Finance:     Mr. D has been in contact with the finance department at HRSB to ensure we are safely following the expectation that monies raised this current school .... will be spent during the current year - unless carried over for a very specific project or purpose. A key factor will be ensuring that our overall funding carried over - will be lower - than the previous year. Thank you for your ongoing support.

8. Four Plus: Springvale 2018-2019:  Someone from HRSB has visited the school site already. If Springvale is chosen as a site for the 2018-2019 school year we would need to be able to accommodate about 30 students (2 classrooms of 15). The suggestion was that this program be housed in the basement classroom spaces. The current Art room and French room are possible spaces. Art room would shift to Excel room where we would have to paint & install an LCD projector. If French room becomes four plus we would have to make the French teacher travel room to room, reclaim half of the library or use the YMCA room. The problem with the basement being the location is the lack of bathroom space. We are not sure how the hours would impact drop-off and pick-up times yet.

9. Primary Registration: 37 students have registered for September so far. That number is expected to increase. 31 grade 6 students are leaving at the end of this year.

10. Springvale school website:  Mr. D is working on converting to the new school website platform. It should be live by April 1st, 2018.

     6. New Business:

a)    SAC's Potential New Role

b)    SAC Chair Request for Communication with Class Parents

c)    Consultation with SAC for New Principal Recruitment: Sylvia asked HRSB and was told she would be contacted to give input about the school community needs as the new principal is being selected by mid April.

All of the New Business was discussed above in the Old Business and Glaze Report section of the Principal's Report.

Adjournment - 7:22pm
Next meeting: Tuesday, April 17, 2018  @ 6:00pm

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council

January 16, 2018

6:00—7:15 pm

 

Attendance: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Nick Budreski (Parent), Karla Galloway (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative), Dawn Cullen (Community),

 

Regrets: Dawn Cullen (Community), Bill Gorman (Community)

 

1.      Call to Order:  6:05pm

2.      Additions to Agenda: None

3.      Review and approval of minutes: Minutes reviewed,  Change to spelling of Gopili Paramguru (Parent)

4.      Old Business: Stakeholder Engagement: Inclusive education: 3 SAC chairs from Halifax invited to participate Dec 1, 2017 12:30-4:00pm: No participation from Springvale

5.      Principal's Report 

 

a.      Christmas Concert: very positive feedback regarding the hosting of an evening concert at the school. Recognition of the teachers staff and students that put so much work into having an evening concert

b.      Assessment results: Mr. D provided documents to report that all students in Grade 6 are performing at or above Level 3 for reading; writing had a few numbers in Level 2. Overall very positive. Reinforces the excellent learning and teaching at Springvale

c.       Outdoor concerns: We will encourage parents to drop students at Milsom Ave. to alleviate congestion on Downs Ave. There is no parking by the Hydrant at 115 Downs Ave. There continues to be issues with parents/guardians who choose to stop in the no stop/drop zone of Downs Ave. Revisit having HRM Police resume ticketing of individuals choosing to not follow the laws to help protect the safety of the children, staff and community members.

d.      Const. Jason Wilson: has been keeping an eye on traffic: parking on/near our playgrounds after hours. He also searched the information relating to an individual who has been staying in their car next to the playground.

e.      Technology Update: 20 Chrome books were traded for old Netbooks. There will be an attempt to alter the lockable old NetBook charge cart to house/store the chrome books. Very exciting to have additional technology resources.

f.        Springvale student presentations/Assemblies: We benefit from multiple presentations at our site. Looking for other options

g.      Nomination of Mr. McGowan: Prime Minister's Award for Excellence in Teaching and Leadership was submitted and awaiting response.

h.      Book Fair: $3,500.00

i.        School Communication Policy: process of updating to make it more relevant. There will be a brief section on reporting/communicating student achievement and a section relating to making our community more aware of the great things happening within out school: including PTA events

j.        Speech Language Pathology at the school has been happening 2 times per month. January 31, 2018 there will be weekly sessions.

k.       Storm Procedures: Springvale belongs to the Citadel High Family of schools. It is the HRSB's goal to make the decision as close to 6:00 am as possible. A 6:00 am announcement could be:

                                                              i.      All schools are closed for the day;

                                                            ii.      Some schools (either individually or by family) are closed for the day;

                                                          iii.      All schools are open, but some or all busses are not operating for the day;

                                                           iv.      All schools are delayed in opening by 2 hours

l.        Ski Trip: Grades 5-6 on January 26. 2018

m.    PTA Fundraising: HRSB provincial expectations: We do not raise funds beyond out planned expenditures for the school year. Accumulated funds are to be targeted toward a specific project.

HRSB provides $5300.00 to schools.

6.      Adjournment: 6:45pm

Next meeting: Tuesday February 20, 2018  (Tuesday after long weekend) @ 6:00pm

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council

November 21, 2017

6:00—7:15 pm

 

Attendance: Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Karla Galloway (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative) Bill Gorman (Community), Dawn Cullen (Community), Gopili Paramguru (Parent)

 

Regrets: Nick Budreski (Parent), John Dobrowolski (Principal), Erin Cyr (Parent),

 

1.      Call to Order �  6:08pm

2.      Additions to Agenda � SAC PD day

3.      Review and approval of minutes � Minutes reviewed,  No revisions

4.      Old Business:

a.      Letter of agreement updated � Alex Allen added; Karla Galloway added; Bill Gorman staying on.

b.      SAC PD day Oct. 19 � Sylvia, Michelle, Bill and Karla attended the session. Review of the roles and responsibilities of the Disciplinary Committee (student suspensions of 10 days or less) � a hand out was provided. The committee is to consist of the parents and community members. Karla Galloway to chair the Springvale disciplinary committee (if required)

5.      Principal�s Report 

 

a.      School Enrollment 2017/2018 -  there are some new students possibly coming to Springvale

b.      Out of Area  Requests: The policy states that the class sizes can be pushed to the hard cap (lower grades:22 upper grades:27) when there are out of catchment area requests

c.       Outdoor concerns: there has been communication with the Police Liaison regarding some issues on the school grounds.

d.      Nov 16 Theater presentation was well received.

e.      Technology Update: Chrome books are being utilized and are providing opportunities for great learning experiences. HRSB will trade Netbooks for Chrome books

f.        Vince MacDonald: Parent Presentation occurring Nov.7, 2017: well received approx. 30 in attendance

g.      Nomination of Mr. McGowan: Prime Minister�s Award for Excellence in Teaching and Leadership. Mr. D forwarded the nomination Dec. 10, 2017.

h.      Remembrance Day Service: November 8, 2017 Bernie Francis attended the ceremony.

i.        Book Fair: to be held the week of parent teacher interviews. Details will be sent home.

j.        Christmas concert � December 13 - 2 performances 1:15pm and 6:30pm (assigned seating) and golden ticket will be drawn

k.       Move and Groove Room: Learning Centre has an area for students requiring a movement break; Adult supervision; PTA funds helped to furnish (mini trampoline, Yoga, Plasma Car�)

l.        Update methods of communication: spoke with Doug Hadley re: facilitating communication via Twitter

m.    Speech Language pathology at the school has been happening 2 times per month beginning January 31, 2018 there will be weekly sessions.

n.      Substitute teacher situation: there is presently a lack of substitute resources in the pool to draw on and there could be times were internal staff must cover absences.

o.      Band, 5-6 Strings and Choir will be performing November 30, 2017.

p.      Halifax Explosion: Mr. D will be attending the Halifax Explosion Remembrance on December 6, 2017 at 8:50am.

q.      Storm Procedures: Springvale belongs to the Citadel High Family of schools. It is the HRSB�s goal to make the decision as close to 6:00 am as possible. A 6:00 am announcement could be:

                                                              i.      All schools are closed for the day;

                                                            ii.      Some schools (either individually or by family) are closed for the day;

                                                          iii.      All schools are open, but some or all busses are not operating for the day;

                                                           iv.      All schools are delayed in opening by 2 hours

 

6.      New Business �

a.      Sylvia to email out the invite to review survey for Administrative System Review (being carried out by Avis Glaze)

b.      Strategic Plan Consultation: to review the mission statement. Ideas are to be shared by Dec. 1, 2017. Send feedback to Sylvia.

c.       Stakeholder Engagement: Inclusive education � 3 SAC chairs from Halifax invited to participate Dec 1, 2017 12:30-4:00pm to provide feedback re: present inclusive education (Special needs Learning)

7.      Adjournment � 6:55pm

Next meeting � Tuesday January 16, 2018 @ 6:00pm


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Springvale Elementary School Advisory Council

October 17, 2017

6:00 � 7:15 pm

 

Attendance: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Karla Galloway (Parent), Erin Cyr (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative) Bill Gorman (Community)

 

Regrets: Nick Budreski (Parent), Dawn Cullen (Community)

 

1.      Call to Order �  6:02pm

2.      Additions to Agenda � SAC PD day; Terms of Reference

3.      Review and approval of minutes � Minutes reviewed,  No revisions

4.      Principal�s Report  

a.      School Enrollment 2017/2018 and classroom configuration: there are 12 teaching staff (reduced from 13). There are 5 combined classes.

b.      Out of Area Requests: The policy states that the class sizes can be pushed to the hard cap (lower grades:22, upper grades:27) when there are out of catchment area requests

c.       SSP Year 2 Strategies and goals set for the year. Literacy and Math are focused on. Mr. D provided handout outlining the School Student Success Plan. Grade Six assessments will be used to evaluate goal attainment and meeting objectives.

d.      Lunch supervision/Hot lunches: Springvale has a complement of six hired staff for lunch supervision. The Lunch supervision process seems to be working well and is helping to ensure comprehensive supervision and student safety.

                                                              i.      Hot lunches are working well; process is still being streamlined and there is exploration of other food options for the 2nd term.

e.      School Pictures: Paul Adams Photography. Proofs have been sent home. Response to the new vendor was positive.

f.        Outdoor upgrades: Tanya and Peter Metlej donated 6 picnic tables for the outdoors. The student body is very happy and delighted with the outdoor seating areas.

                                                              i.      The vandalized trees are being replaced.

g.      Technology Update/ PTA Funds: Chrome books are being utilized and are providing opportunities for great learning experiences.

h.      Vince MacDonald, Parent Presentation occurring Nov.7, 2017: reminder to parents to be sent home. Parents are strongly encouraged to attend.

i.        Nomination of Mr. McGowan: Prime Minister�s Award for Excellence in Teaching and Leadership. Mr. D to forward the nomination by Dec. 2017.

j.        Turkey Bingo: Big success; numbers to be forwarded by PTA. Huge Thanks to all the volunteers that made the evening a success.

k.       Remembrance Day Service: November 8, 2017; all are welcome, notice to be sent home.

l.        New Librarian: Lorraine Nason Tracey: great start to the year

                                                              i.      Book Fair: There will be 2 this year. Details will be sent home.

m.    Building Maintenance: New paint, new shelving and new windows. Looking good Springvale

5.      New Business �

a.      Flu Clinic: October 17 noon to 1pm and 4-6pm; email sent by Mr. D to allow appropriate number of vaccine doses to be on site.

b.      SAC PD evening: Thursday October 19, 2017 6:30-7:30 at Citadel High School

c.       SAC Terms of Reference _ to be reviewed

                                                              i.      Letter of Agreement due by Oct. 31, 2017: Sylvia to circulate

                                                            ii.      SAC Membership reviewed: Confirmed returning members in clude: John Dobrowolski (Principal), Michelle Lamont (Vice Principal), Jill Zhang (Teacher), Tracy McFeters (Teacher), Sylvia Yazbeck (Chair), Karla Galloway (Parent), Alex Allen (PTA representative) Dawn Cullen (Community), Bill Gorman (Community)

6.      Adjournment � 7:00pm

Next meeting � Tuesday November 21, 2017 @ 6:00pm


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
SAC - 2016 2017 - Accumulated Minutes